Edmonton Motor Dealer Association History
The first records of the EMDA are dated 1935, when a few car dealers met and collectively agreed to lobby for equalized freight rates for vehicles throughout Canada. In 1953, the Edmonton Motor Dealers’ Association was incorporated as a non-profit society. A charter was obtained under The Societies Act which continues with minor amendments to this day.
There are currently 82 franchised new vehicle dealerships in the Association located in Edmonton, Sherwood Park, and St. Albert.
The members directly employ in excess of 5000 Edmontonians. They support their communities through charitable involvement and contribute hundreds of thousands of dollars in donations and in-kind contributions.
The vision of the Edmonton Motor Dealers’ Association (EMDA) and its members is to “prosper together by working together.” This statement recognizes that while they are all individual businesses with varying objectives and circumstances, they all have one common objective of prospering in their businesses and believe they can enhance their chance of succeeding through teamwork. The mission of the association is to promote and support legislative and industry changes beneficial to the success of the member dealerships — and to promote and support the people, integrity, quality, competition, and educational institutions essential for the good of the automotive industry as a whole.
The EMDA produces the annual Edmonton Motor Show, which is considered one of the premier attractions held at the Northlands Agricom. Please visit the Edmonton Auto Show section of our Web site for further information about the event.